3D MODELLING | PROJECT 3

3D Modelling: Project 3

Loh Kai Xuan (0365780)


PROJECT 3

Briefing:

Fig 1.1. Project 3 Brief


INSPIRATION & REFERENCES          

I decided to make a model of Grim, a creature from the video game, Disney: Twisted Wonderland. I used the Fluffy Puffy Bandai Figure of him as reference.



Fig 1.2. Fluffy Puffy Grim Figure by Bandai Namco


However, the angle and pose was really hard to model on. So I just drew my own reference since I can't find an official reference or model sheet anywhere. 



Fig 1.3. Reference sheet of Grim based on the figure


PROGRESS       


I imported the image in blender as reference but got stuck at how to make the ears. After asking Mr. Kamal, he advice using a plane instead and demonstrated. 

Fig 1.4. Progress 1

For the paws, I started with a cube and extruded the fingers. I beveled the vertices to create toe beans.

Fig 1.5. Making the Paw


After connecting the paws to the arms, I made the leg and used bridge edge loop to connect to the main body. But it looked too wrinkled. 

Fig 1.6. Making the Leg


Mr. Kamal said that it has too many edge loops, causing jagged edges. To fix it, The leg was separated and remade with lesser vertices.  

Fig 1.7. Fixing the Leg


For the fire coming out of the ears, I wanted to follow the reference figurine rather than making it look like actual fire. I used a plane to shape the fire, then used solidify to make it look like resin. 

Fig 1.8. Making the Fire

I then started to work on the face. I used what we learned while making spiderman in weekly activities. I decided to make the eyes separate objects so it stands out and the snout was pushed out and I extruded the nose from there. 

Fig 1.9. Making the Face

I wanted to try using a curve then extruding but it looked bad so I made separate objects and joined them to make the teeth and tougue instead. 

Fig 1.10. Making the Mouth

To make the tail, i created a cylinder, and extruded the parts out one by one. I then used the mirror to mirror the other side. 

Fig 1.11. Making the Tail


Next I can finally start on his accessories. The collar is a simple torus with cylinders that were scaled to look like a gem. 

Fig 1.12. Making the Collar


Then I used a plane to create the bow on the back. I applied the solidify so I can create a more 3D look for the bow. 

Fig 1.13. Making the Bow


The torn ribbon pattern was made with the same way too. It was difficult to modify the topology so that it won't create unnatural edges when I made creases in it. 

Fig 1.14. Making the Bow 2


Now that it's done I applied material and colour dropped from the reference. 


Fig 1.15. Adding Material


I started making the rig with rigify. However I ran into trouble with the tail. I attempted weight painting but it was too time consuming and I ran out of time. So instead, I just manually modeled the tail to make it work. 



Fig 1.16. Rigging



Lastly is composition. I made a room for him to be in first then started setting up light. 

Fig 1.17. Made a room



It felt too dark and after seeing senior examples I decided to add rim light and bevel the edges of the room to create a gradient background.

Fig 1.18. Lighting


After experimenting around with the light, I decided to stick with the spotlight and reflecting ground as it created an interesting composition. 
Fig 1.19. Compositing




FINAL OUTCOME

Fig 1.20. Final Render

Fig 1.21. Final Wireframe



BONUS

Fig 1.22. Bonus


Comments

Popular Posts